with thanks to thisisnorthkensington.wordpress.com

Comments

DAMESATHOME@GMAIL.COM
send the Dame your information, discretion assured.
Comments are welcome but do not necessarily reflect the view of the Dame.
Offensive/inappropriate comments will be deleted and the poster banned.

Friday 13 November 2020

PAVED WITH BAD INTENTIONS: NO CONCRETE ANSWERS


My Dear Dame,

I am unsure how much interest your Dameship takes in the wilder reaches of far-flung North Kensington, but coming up St Mark's Road today I discovered by Kensington Memorial Park (as an aside-what is it a memorial to?) that the pavement is being re-laid. 

Nothing unusual in that you might say....but I remember when the York Stone paving was replaced in Kensington Square in 1975(?) by bog-standard concrete paving, only for it to magically re-appear around the new Town Hall. 

So, knowing the council has form of switching York Stone paving flags for concrete and then re-using them in posh areas, I always check when I see pavement re-laying works.


Sure enough, the pavement being ripped up appears to be stone flags (whether York or not I am unsure), and the replacements are bog standard concrete. 
I didn't get any sensible answers from the two highly skilled
operatives (whose native language was not apparently English) as to what happened to the old flag stones, but I have my suspicions.

Regards, dear Dame,

The Pavement Warrior

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. Pavement relaying is due in Grenville Place SW7.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are your responsibility. Anyone posting inappropriate comments shall have their comment removed and will be banned from posting in future. Your IP address may also be recorded and reported. Persistent abuse shall mean comments will be severely restricted in future.